Description:Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Laboratories (ATL) is chartered with creating generation-after-next technology to help Lockheed Martin maintain technology dominance for maximum impact on national security and warfighter readiness. As a group of applied research laboratories, we are professionals who develop and apply leading edge technologies to our customers' most difficult problems and needs. Our researchers work closely with customers to create and shape opportunities and are skilled in applying emerging research to evolving programs. Our agile business structure is designed to swiftly respond to urgent needs. Our primary partners include government agencies, commercial enterprises, and other Lockheed Martin organizations. LM ATL also maintains research and development relationships with national laboratories, key universities, industry partners and thought leaders.
Description: this position is within the Emerging Technologies Laboratory (ETL), one of the four primary laboratories that comprise LM ATL. ETL applies lean start-up and agile methods to explore, evaluate, and grow new and existing technology focus areas as well as new models for enhancing innovation that will have a significant, positive impact for LM ATL's customers. New focus areas in their earlier stages are collectively grouped within ETL's \"Innovation Cluster\". The candidate will be the R&D technology thought leader for one or more of these new focus areas within the Innovation Cluster.
One of the new focus areas is Mission Adaptive Autonomy (MAA). The primary function of this position is to implement the MAA strategy by leading the technology and R&D funding pursuits, which focus on foundational approaches and solutions for coordinated adaptive autonomy. Autonomy scenarios range from individual systems to systems-of-systems, both with and without humans in the loop (including manned-unmanned teaming, or MUM-T. The candidate will help lead the MFA by aiding in strategy formulation and evaluation, and providing technology guidance to a highly skilled team of technologists for achieving maximum effectiveness in landing and leveraging internal and external R&D contracts to achieve mission impact.
The Technology Leader will
* Develop and foster strategy-focused R&D funding opportunities in adaptive autonomy, to include single and cross-domain, single and multi-vehicle, and with and without humans in the loop.
* Lead the development of new applied research in AI/ML, robotics, and autonomy for both internal and external projects, working in collaboration with LM ATL colleagues and world-class academic researchers, national labs, and other advanced technology organizations.
* Advance the state of the art by developing and demonstrating new technologies in relevant operational environments as team lead and as a key contributor to project teams.
* Engage with the wider research community, understand emerging trends in technologies, and create the vision to enable development of discriminating capabilities for LM ATL.
The ideal candidate will also have demonstrable experience leading complex autonomy R&D projects and will be a highly motivated individual with an entrepreneurial mindset and a strong record of leading successful proposals and execution of contract R&D (CRAD) with U.S. government agency and/or commercial organizations.
* MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Autonomy, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics or related technical disciplines.
* A minimum of 10 years of experience leading winning proposals and executing advanced technology development programs.
* Strong background in providing technical leadership for solving complex technical challenges through advanced technology development programs involving the creation of new software and/or hardware paradigms.
* Research experience in developing and implementing autonomy, sensor processing and perception, and AI/ML for UxVs.
* Familiarity with rapid software development environments common to the autonomy community.
* Strong demonstrated communication skills and experience presenting and conveying focused messages to internal/external stakeholders and customers.
* Ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance.
* Ph.D. degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Autonomy, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics or related technical disciplines.
* Expert experience in developing and demonstrating collaborative and adaptive autonomy schemes using modern tools from AI/ML, autonomy and systems and control.
* Research experience in adaptive multi-UxV planning, coordinated control, distributed estimation and control in UxV networks, communications management and distributed information management for autonomous robotic systems, artificial perception, sensor data fusion, or collaborative autonomy involving teams of UxVs and humans or teams of manned and unmanned platforms (MUM-T).
* Strong network and professional visibility and relationships at U.S. government Science & Technology organizations, universities, national labs, and other advanced technology organizations.
* Experience with robotics & autonomy frameworks such as ROS and MOOS-IvP.
* Strong oral and written communication skills as evidenced by proposals, published articles, and presentations at conferences and seminars.
* Excellent interpersonal skills as evidenced by a record of shaping and influencing internal and external stakeholders on projects.
* Software and algorithm development skills in C/C++, Java, Python and Matlab/Simulink
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They're dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin's vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers' toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.