The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Director of Research Technology Services , the Senior Research Application Developer supports the Division's Planning and Strategic Initiatives Department.
The Senior Research Application Developer is responsible for assisting in the planning, design, deployment, policy development, integration and/or development of George Washington University's research cloud compute and network infrastructure. This role supports schools, research units, and individual researchers by providing state-of-the-art cloud-based analytical tools and services to for research and collaborative partnerships at the regional, national, and international scale. This role involves contributing to the design and operational oversight of research cloud services and will have responsible for developing Application Programming Interfaces (API's) within a regulated data environment operating in the Azure cloud. This role also works as a liaison and advisor for GW IT research-centric operations, community engagements, and in partnering with regional networks and academic institutions on future IT challenges.
* Responsible for understanding and utilizing Microsoft's Virtual Data Center Model for creating API's to support shared environments for research and education purposes. Tasks include assisting in the development of a Research as a Service Platform (RaaSP) in the Azure cloud capable of supporting a wide range of research applications. This includes working closely with cross-functional teams in DIT responsible for networking and compute system operations, architectural standards, and documentation to peers and the active participation in overseeing project design and implementation efforts. This job will also support risk and compliance efforts and development of strategies to document and audit the integrated service platform.
* Work with existing and potential new RaaSP users to understand their problems and translate them into innovative, practical, scalable, cost effective and easily deployable cloud solution using Agile methodologies to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
* Engage with stakeholders and take leadership of the Azure coding development effort. Work closely with the networking, systems, and security engineers to understand the requirements and workflows to successfully build out the RaaSP environment.
* Act as a consultant to researchers requiring help accessing the RaaSP and building out specific capabilities to assist their work. Provide guidance on IaaS, PaaS service requests and help determining Azure services and tools to enable research. This role is expected to be a strategic contributor to the onboarding and development of future RaaSP users.
* Responsible for the planning, design and implementation of the RaaSP communications strategy to ensure alignment with strategic enterprise capabilities and execution plans; requires continuous engagement with strategic planning initiatives and active participation in roadmap development.
* Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
* Five (5)+ years of designing, configuring and deploying software solutions based on Industry standard coding and development practices.
* Experience with cloud platforms providing customized virtual cloud compute, storage and network services and ability to design and implement a comprehensive software development plan. Specific experience with Azure necessary.
* Experience in a large-scale, complex cloud computing environments with knowledge of NIST 800-53, NIST SP 800-171, FISMA moderate, and HIPAA guidelines.
* Experience in system level architecture of a research network environment, including virtual networks and sub-networks, subscriptions and tenancy management, large-scale automation, API construction and working with complex data flows.
* Experience with software defined networks, software defined storage and virtual compute environments in hybrid data center configurations.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills; a team player with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills and the ability to creatively design and improve workflows and processes.
* Deep understanding of cloud computing technologies across Windows and Linux, with demonstrated hands-on experience on one or more of the following domains:
oIdentity and Authentication: SSO/Federation, AD/Azure AD etc.
oRole Based Access Control: Resource Groups, Security Groups, Tenants, etc
oAzure Core Platform: Deep Azure compute, storage and networking expertise.
oData Platform: SQL, Azure DB, Azure Blob and Data Lakes Storage, Data Bricks
oAzure Application Development or support experiences with Azure PaaS services (Redis Cache, Service Bus, Event Hub, Cloud Service, IoT suite, Mobile Apps, etc.)
oWebsite troubleshooting & coding experience: IIS, Azure Web Apps, MVC, etc.
* Understands emerging technologies and how to exploit them in creating innovative solutions.
This position is based at GW's Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but may require travel to the Foggy Bottom campus located in Washington, DC.
Typical Hiring Range $71202 - $113774 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?